Member Login

HISTORY

Celebrating 90 Years of Tradition

The Beginning

Founded by A. B. Turnbull & former stockholders of Fox River Country Club, later known as Town & Country Golf Course. 400 acres of land known as Sullivan’s Flats were purchased by T. A. Pamperin.

Construction

June 25, 1928 Work began on the construction of Oneida Golf and Riding. The course was designed and constructed by U. S. Golf Architects, Inc., of Chicago. Dorr Packard supervised construction. A conflicting report says that the course was designed by Stanley Pelcher and built by Dorr Packard Construction Company. The course was built for $41,866.

Course Opening

June 15, 1929 - Golf course opened. There were 70 players for the ceremony and the first foresome was Andrew Turnbull (left), Frank Kerwin, Lee Joannes and Jules Parmentier.

Horse Stables Added

Early 1930's

Walter Hagen, Sam Sneed & Ben Hogan take on the course

1939 or 1940 - 11 time major winner Walter Hagen and famous trick shot artist John Montague played an exhibition with host pro Harold Fossum and Frank Kerwin. July 30, 1940 - In an exhibition match, Sam Sneed and Ralph Guldahl beat Johnny Revolta and Ben Hogan 3 & 2. 800 watched Sneed set a new course record with a 66.

Sale of Club Stock

1943 - Sale of stock completed, thus the stockholders owned the assents of the club.

First Horse Show

1949 - First horse show at Oneida Golf and Riding Club call “Green Bay Horse Show”

Horse Riding Expands

1950 - New 60’x120’ indoor riding rink is added to the east side of the barn. 1957 - Outdoor riding arena added.

Swimming Pool

1957 - Swimming pool added near golf range

Seasonal Club Becomes Year-Round Facility

1964 - Major renovation turned a seasonal golf club into a 12 month facility by adding formal dining room, 19th Hole and casual Oak Room.

Jack Nicklaus & Vince Lombardi take on the course

1965 - Exhibition match between Jack Nicklaus and Vince Lombardi

Tennis

1974 - Tennis courts and tennis shop opened.

Horses find New Homes

Riding is phased out in the 1980's.

Clubhouse Renovation

Larger Kitchen & Oak Room, Staff Offices Added

Growing Membership, Upgraded Amenities

1992 - Converted swimming pool into a putting green, opened relocated Olympic swimming pool, whirlpool, wading pool & cabana, lengthened driving range, new entrance to clubhouse, added tennis courts

New Clubhouse, New Name

1996 - New 44,000 square foot clubhouse opened. Oneida Golf and Riding became Oneida Golf and Country Club.

New Tees, Green Complexes & Short Game Area

Opened 24 new tees, most were for a shorter lengths – senior, womens, juniors. Opened new complexes for #3 and #8. Opened new member-donated short game area

New Greens & Bunkers

2017-2018 renovation of greens & greenside bunkers to bring the course back to it original design.